Vanity Revamp? Check!

As you may recall, one of my recent projects was revamping our guest bath vanity without replacing the unit. It proved to be an arduous task but it was inexpensive and I’m very happy with the end result. Welcome to the reveal! I can’t wait to hear what you think.

Here’s a reminder of what it looked like before:

DSC_0511This is what it looks like now:

New Vanity RevealAfter preparing the surface, I decided the vanity was too boxy. To soften the edges a bit just under the counter top, I used a glue gun to attach a familiar item that I always have lying around the house!

New Vanity UpcloseDo you recognize it? That’s right, it’s a paint stirrer. After the glue had time to dry, I painted the entire vanity with Benjamin Moore paint/primer in an eggshell finish. I found a quart of Coventry Gray (HC-169) on a reject rack and I couldn’t be happier with the color.

After allowing time for 2 coats of paint to dry, I used a sanding sponge to distress the edges of the drawers and the paint stirrers to reveal the bare wood and some of the white paint from its previous incarnation. Next I used an artist’s brush to apply Minwax wood stain in Driftwood. It took a couple of coats to achieve the color I was after. Finally, I applied a few coats of water-based Polyurethane and let that cure for a few days. The final touch was reattaching the cabinet door and adding the new knobs I bought from Mill Stores Furniture Outlet (I love their selection of affordable, basic knobs).

Now all we need are some overnight guests to put the “new” vanity to use (over time, I do plan to replace the uni-mirror and sconces …. and don’t even get me started on the peach floor, counter top, tub and toilet. One step at a time). I’ll leave you with one final look at the vanity from the door.




You may also like...

2 Responses

  1. Beth says:

    This is beautiful, Rebecca!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *