Bathroom Vanity Revamp

The previous owners of our home must have had a thing for the color peach because our guest bathroom is doused in it. I mean, it’s everywhere. The floor, the vanity top, the toilet and the WHOLE shower are all, you guessed it, peach. I have convinced myself that there are worse colors they could have chosen. Peach, at least, is somewhat neutral.

We renovated our master bath and the powder room soon after we bought this house (built in 1993, they had the “90s” look to them and were falling apart) and the guest bathroom just wasn’t on that list. Well, it’s definitely on the “Built in the 90s” list (look at that bathtub surround?!?!) but just not in our budget for a reno. One day, one day. The walls had been lovingly (if not carelessly) sponge painted. If that weren’t enough, a hand painted floral border had been added. This is what the bathroom looked like when we visited an open house:

BathBeforeI know, I forgot to mention the wooden toilet seat cover. I wanted to surprise you! Needless to say, we couldn’t bring ourselves to replace it with a peach seat so now we have a fancy two-toned (peach and white!) toilet. Two-tone is all the rage in toilets now. I suggest you jump on the trend now before it really explodes 😉

Because replacing the floor, toilet, shower etc. is just not in the cards, I had to turn to paint to update this bathroom (read: take the focus off the peach). I primed the walls and then painted them in mocha which is a warm color that plays with, and tones down, the peach.

Now I am tackling the vanity. While not a very well constructed vanity, it’s sturdy and it gets the job done. It was painted white at some point and some of the drawers don’t close flush with the unit. Those two factors swayed my decision to repaint the vanity in a distressed technique. This is what it looked like before I got to work:DSC_0511

First I removed, all of the hardware, knobs and the center cabinet door. Then I had to prepare the surface to be painted. After cleaning and drying the outside and inside of the vanity, I used a sanding sponge to rough up all surfaces. I used some white caulk to fill in cracks that have appeared with the vanity settling over time.

BathCrackI’m waiting for the caulk to dry so I can sand off the residue and then get to painting. Click here to see how I transformed and updated the vanity.



You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *